Saturday, March 8, 2008

Women's Day.....(?)













March 8, and what do I remember – women’s day. OK, I agree I didn’t remember that. When is 'men’s day' I ask. Mom, the only defender on ‘women related’ issues in our house shot back, “all days other than today are yours”. Good reply right?

We have so many “days” declared, we have ‘Kannada rajyothsava”, “environment day”, “science day” and so many others (I have written only what I celebrate, that’s why you can’t find valentine’s day there). But why do we dedicate? The first answer I get – women have not been fairly treated and they deserve to be empowered. How can a dedicated day do the job?

It’s just the same every time. You celebrate Kannada rajyothsava and forget Kannada the following day. Again, tomorrow would be the same, a bunch of good looking women pass by, you see someone whistling. It’s the perspective that needs to be changed. Only then, I feel, women would really be empowered. Unless we change, no reservations or any NGO's could bring about any improvements.

In my opinion, there should be a men’s day instead. In that way, it would be enlightening for men that he is overpowering his counterpart. Like what Munnabhai did to Boman (I’ve forgotten his name in that movie) – Gandhigiri.

While I finish, here is a quote from Louise Otto for women,

“The history of all times, and of today especially, teaches that ... women will be forgotten if they forget to think about themselves.”

1 comment:

The 'Ekaangi' said...

There's this guy Sumit at work. I asked him to mail his wife wishing her fr Woman's day! And he sends 'B4 i was married, i was incomplete, after marriage i was finished'!
After he went home tht evening, i'm sure he'L be celebrating his 'funeral day' !!