Monday, March 17, 2008

Movies...Reviews...









Finished my 1st of the 3 internals this week. My classmates are very studious – they bunk classes days before the internals and study. What would I do bunking classes? Study and I never go hand in hand. I had nothing to do but watch a couple of movies. Here are their reviews.

First of all, I am no critic. I see the positives of the film and appreciate them. So, most of the time, I end up getting bad remarks for my reviews. So my warning – read somewhere again (how foolish to write that, right!)


Enchanted

Probably, it hasn’t released in India yet. Downloaded it and watched.

I really like “fairy-tale” movies. So, obviously, I liked this one too…
It’s a story of a maid who is supposed to marry a prince. She is pushed into our world from her fairy land by the wicked prince’s step mother. She gets help from a divorce lawyer who is divorced (call it professionalism or what-ever). The prince comes searching for her. Soon the queen’s lover and then the queen herself follow. As all fairy tales, this too has a “happily ever after” ending. And know what, there were songs (!)

Its one of those movies which you can sit through and enjoy. It’s a feel good movie and I would give it 4 stars on 5.

My rating: * * * * for 5


Sweeney Todd

It was recently released. But who would give 200 bucks for just a movie! I downloaded this too...

Let me tell you, I am a great fan of Johnny Depp. He’s probably the most talented of the actors now. Coming to the movie, I had read many reviews and had known this would be a “bloody” movie (don’t get me wrong there, I meant a movie with lot of blood)

The genre of this movie was revenge. The movie is set in London in the 1800s. Depp was a barber and lived a happy life. He had a beautiful wife and a child. The wicked judge deports Depp on false charges to Australia to marry Depp’s wife. Depp returns to have his revenge. He gets the help of his old owner and sets up a new salon. He turns that to a graveyard for his enemies.

It’s a 'dark' movie. Watch it if you are a Depp fan. He is awesome – as usual. The other characters are also good. But there is a lot of blood, watch it at your own risk.

My rating: * * * ½ for 5


Namaste London

Watched it on Sony yesterday. I guess most of you have seen it. Once again, I am a fan of Akshay. And movies with actresses like Katrina; do you really need a story? But, this had a ‘different’ story – but not great.

Katrina is a spoilt brat living in London. Her dad is an Indian and like most NRI’s, he too, loves to have his daughter married off to an Indian. Katrina has plans for her; she dates a rich English guy. Her dad marries her to Akshay. She isn’t ready to accept him as her husband. Akshay stays in London and tries to win her, and the story goes on…

The main reason for this movie to be among the top grosser for the last year was because of its casting. Everyone was perfect for their roles. For those who haven't seen it, give it a shot.

My rating: * * * for 5

2 comments:

The 'Ekaangi' said...

when U write a movie review, always mention the cast, if possible the director too.

i dunno abt the rest, but Namastey London.... its always a 1.5 star, only coz its got Katrina in it (or else, i would have removed the 1 too)... its a total impractical story i came across, thanks fr making me watch it

Bharath said...

Told ya, I get bad remarks for my reviews...